Friday, August 21, 2026

Girl Dad, Part III: We Have Sleep!





I feel like my last update from the world of two-under-two was written from somewhere deep inside the newborn trenches. I was exhausted, frustrated, and beginning to wonder if Evie had been sent specifically to test my commitment to this whole parenting thing. Well, I am thrilled to report that we have experienced a dramatic change in management.

EVE IS SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!!


I don’t want to brag too loudly because I’m convinced babies can sense parental confidence and immediately retaliate, but this has been life-changing. Apparently getting several consecutive hours of sleep transforms you from a hollow shell of a human being back into someone who actually enjoys his children. Who knew? 


And it’s not just the sleep. Our little snorter has finally started interacting with the world. She’s giving us tiny smiles, watching us with those big eyes, and actually responding when I talk to her. I’m mastering the art of baby talk. Best of all, I can now occasionally set her down for longer than two minutes without her reacting as though I’ve abandoned her at a highway rest stop. She’s settling into semi-predictable routines, which after the last few months feels roughly equivalent to having successfully broken a wild horse.


Now, I should acknowledge that this miraculous turnaround has suspiciously coincided with Vidah taking over care of both girls during the day. Correlation? Causation? I have no interest in investigating further. I’m sleeping and happy. Let’s not ruin a good thing with speculation.



Meanwhile, Joni has somehow reached peak cuteness, although I’ve said that before and she keeps proving me wrong. Every day brings new words, new expressions, and new discoveries. She’s endlessly curious and has enough energy to power a small municipality. She wanders around investigating everything, talking constantly, and charming virtually every human being she encounters.  Hanging out with her has become one of my favorite things to do. We’re past the stage where I’m simply keeping a baby alive and into this wonderful period where I get to experience the world alongside a tiny, hilarious person who thinks nearly everything is amazing. And she still remains the undefeated sleeping champion of the household. 


We’ve also started developing our own little routines. Joni and I go swimming every week, which has quickly become something I look forward to. Watching her confidence in the water grow has been incredibly fun, even if “swimming” currently consists mostly of splashing, climbing on me, and attempting things with absolutely no appreciation for personal safety.



And now I’ve started reading to Evie before bed. She’s obviously not offering much literary criticism yet, but I love having that little ritual with her. It’s something simple that’s just ours, and I’m looking forward to watching it evolve as she gets older, from staring blankly at the pages, to grabbing the book, to eventually demanding that I read the same story seventeen consecutive times.


The strangest thing about having two kids this close together is how simultaneously familiar and completely different it feels. With Joni, everything was new. Every stage felt monumental because we’d never experienced it before. With Evie, I know what’s coming, which unfortunately made the difficult newborn stage feel less magical and considerably more exhausting. But now I’m remembering the other side of that equation: I also know how much fun is coming.



The smiles become laughs. The staring becomes recognition. The little potato starts developing opinions and personality. Eventually she’ll be toddling around behind her big sister, and I have a feeling the two of them are going to be absolute trouble together.


For now, though, I’m enjoying this little parenting ceasefire. One daughter is at peak cuteness, the other has finally decided sleep isn’t the enemy, and for the first time in a while I feel like I’ve come up for air. 


Girl Dad, Part III is going considerably better.

No comments: